Saturday 18 September 2010

Religious Toler-rants


I am not a Catholic. I am not really an anything. I am an apathetic, liberal pragmatist- so much so that I don’t want to use a word as definite as atheist, or a word with as much potential as agnostic. I’m secular. Just, secular.

I love the ideas involved in modern Christianity, and I wish I found it believable, because I can see the support and comfort that it gives to people’s lives. But I certainly have far too scientific a mind, and have not had proof enough to believe in divinities. I love the sense of community it gives people. I love the historical values: churches as beautiful historical buildings, and the way religion has shaped our history.

(I should say at this point, that this discussion really uses Christianity as an example of religion because I am very familiar with it, as my background is white British, and my school was sort of relaxed academic Catholic. Not because other religions are less useful, I just know less about them.)

All peoples developed religion at some point in their culture’s development with similar themes- it seems to be an essential anthropomorphic development. Religion helped to understand and explain our world; it helps deal with trouble in our lives; it protects us from the bleak and depressing ideas of mortality, insignificance and helplessness. It performs vital social functions, creating a collective of believers, and adding cohesion to a community.

The immortal, allowed us to deal with being mortal. 

This is a phenomenon all cultures have in common, but it is seen as an insurmountable difference. It is in fact something that connects all human history in various different parallels and demonstrates the same mental function in all groups.

Many of us no longer believe in a divine character or pantheon. Technology has taken the place of many of these needs, in ways that are tangible, visible, provable. Science can also provide explanations or hope for many of our problems in life. And regarding social functions, there are many other things which add social cohesion to a nation, particularly in a literate nation, and after the invention of modern media. If I tell you to “Use The Force!” you will almost certainly understand this, because this is a modern shared reference for almost everyone.

 But that does not mean that religion is useless, antiquated, or should have scorn poured on it by those of us who do not believe.

Modern Christianity contains great ideas about the way we should live and the way we should act towards others. A social responsibility is fairly central to the lessons we are most familiar with. This is something I feel very strongly about, because many people have very strange (or absent) ideas about social responsibility. You do not have to believe in the deity being discussed to believe that the lessons taught in his name are positive ideas.

It also helps us with a function of religion that science cannot assist with.

No-one likes to contemplate their own mortality. This is something that science still cannot solve, and in the face of this people turn back to their Gods. It is hard for people to accept that all there is to life is these short years, and although we can see dying and and corpses, people *need* to believe that this is not the end. People turn to God when they have no choice, at the death of a loved one, when facing their own mortality; when medical science begins to let them down.

A religion can give them the comfort and hope to help people deal with these very emotionally traumatic times. And who would deny them this hope at their time of need, because you don’t believe in the power that is helping them cope?

On Sundays as I drive to work, on Radio Two, there is a programme with Aled Jones, of Walking in the Air fame. It has a lot more focus on religion than most BBC programming, and it normally features a speaker talking about recent events in their life, often mentioning the effect of their faith in this situation.

I do not share this faith, but I never fail to be touched to the point of tears, at the comfort and strength that these people have found with God.

I also very much enjoy Pause for Thought. I do not subscribe to the belief system that is delivering the thought, but they are brilliant things to ponder and hopefully improve your daily life, the way we think about ourselves and the way we treat others.

As the Pope is currently visiting the UK, we have all heard endless debates between people on all sides of this issue. Devout Catholics and very assured atheists verbally throttling each other, people getting very upset over the cost etc.
(Yes- we are paying a lot for his state visit, but the point is he is a head of state as well as a religious leader, and as a head of state this is something taxes pay towards.)

So basically. BE TOLERANT! Does it matter if you believe different things? Look for things you can appreciate in the beliefs of others, and respect that, whether it be a particular ideal that is taught, a character or friend of that religion whom you like, beautiful art done in its name... something. 

Rather uninspiring conclusion- no-one is forcing you to agree, but wouldn’t it be nice if everyone were nice?

If everything above looks like soppy idealism it’s because I am a soppy idealist. But I also think if no-one spreads soppy idealism, the ideal will never occur.
If you don’t like any of this. You’ll prob at least enjoy the “Benedictaphone.” 


(http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11278500 )

I shall write a fun post tomorrow so I don't lose my audience due to this MASSIVE rant.

Love and hugs!

2 comments:

  1. A few extra comments- I realise through excessive editing of this post, the grammar is in some places...interesting. Please regard this as a colloquial and informal touch helping you to warm towards the writer as a more human narrator, rather than an idiot.

    Also- although science cannot yet to anything *brilliant* re mortality, you have to love some of the attempts. My fave is my friend Seb, who wants to have his head frozen for future new-body reanimated adventures, and to have the rest of his skin tanned and made into a coat for his relatives to wear after his death.

    Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. > No-one likes to contemplate their own mortality
    Call me a heartless atheist, but my mortality doesn't concern me. I don't enjoy contemplating it is a hobby, but I certainly don't worry about it. I'm happy. In n years time, where I can't really guess what n is, my body and/or mind will be broken. At which point I'll die. At best, I might make a notable contribution to society, which lives on in minds for generations. At worse, I'll have had fun, and can safely be eaten by worms.

    > paying a lot for his state visit, but the
    > point is he is a head of state as well as a
    > religious leader, and as a head of state this
    > is something taxes pay towards

    The point is that he is a head of a pretty insignificant state, as far as the state element goes. He is here mainly with his religious hat on, and the visit should be treated and funded as such. Of course, being good hosts, the fact we have offered him a visit implies that we should honour it.

    ReplyDelete